Monday, September 9, 2013

Gradient Crop Top

This Dime Piece crop top, pictured below, was the inspiration for this project. Since it was out of my price range I wanted to attempt making it myself. I like everything about it but chose not to do the lettering, just the gradient and the flowers.


I started with a simple cotton, racerback tank top; it ran me about $5. I used Tulip tie dye in pink, blue and yellow. I chose this kit because those are basically the primary colors and I was able to blend them to make greens and purples. I chose to make my gradient vertical rather than horizontal because it tends to be more figure flattering. I cut the tank top appropriately for a crop top and then scrunched it horizontally. I applied the dye carefully and in vertical strips, this allowed it to feather into the scrunches and blend out. I tried to keep the blue from mixing with the red too much because it turns a pretty dark purple. As you can see picture above, the main colors are blue, pink, yellow and green. I like that combination to I chose to stay as close to it as possible.


After the crop top was tie dyed and washed I painted on the little white flowers. Again, I used Tulip fabric paint and gave each flower a different neon center color. It's not pristine but I like the edgy, homemade nature of it, it adds to the 90's feel. It was certainly much cheaper than the inspiration piece!


This is a photo of me wearing the crop top at Pitchfork Music Festival this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment