Saturday, August 24, 2013

Watermelon Denim

After all of my galaxy fabric paint success (here and here) I became more confident with fabric paint and expanded my horizons. These Nasty Gal x Lazy Oaf Watermelon denim shorts were the inspiration for my next summer project. I lusted after these shorts for a while, but the booty-showing-length and the price deterred my purchasing them. Instead, I decided to put my free time to good use. As this was also created pre-blog, there aren't many images documenting the process. I began my journey to watermelon greatness by thrifting for high waisted shorts, preferably pink. As you can see in the first photograph, they weren't quite as pink as I wanted. So, thus began step one.

Step One: Dye sad pink shorts with Tulip fabric dye

Step two: (after washing and drying) Paint pink shorts to resemble watermelon. Easy!

I chose to cuff the shorts so I had a clean line to work with, rather than cutting them, but it's really personal preference. I painted by hand, using Q-tips for the black seed detail and brushes for the green cuff. I used Slick Tulip paint, which gave the green cuff a leathery, shiny look. It took a few coats but I was able to get solid coverage. I just used the inspiration shorts as a template to create my own thrifty, less model-thin-booty-showing version. My watermelon shorts were certainly a hit at the local baseball stadium!





No comments:

Post a Comment